Um, WHAT. Guys. EDC Las Vegas is happening really freaking soon. In just a few more sleeps, we’ll all be meeting under the electric sky once again, not sleeping! *heavy breathing* Every year is more magical than the last, and we can't wait to see what this year has in store!
EDC is the ultimate festival, rivaled by no other rave experience. We are truly blessed to have such an amazing experience so accessible to our SoCal home. Plus, anyone who is ANYONE is going to be there!
Like these beautiful people! Mike and Alyssa will be at EDC, so if you see them, say hi!
Let’s get down to business. EDC is amazing, but it's intense as hell. It’s a good time to remind ourselves that this is a marathon, not a sprint. The saying “fail to plan or plan to fail’ fits nicely here. From experience, I can guarantee you some thoughtful discussions beforehand will lead to a much better experience for your whole group.
By now, most of us have accommodations and transportation locked down (if not, get to it!), but how you prepare for the event can have just as much of an impact on your experience. This ain't my first rodeo, and over the years I’ve learned how big of a difference bringing along a few simple items can make. Among the members of your rave fam, I highly suggest having the following items (all of which are 100% allowed inside) covered:
1. Backpack/Hydration Pack:
There’s one standout reason to carry your EDC essentials in a small backpack (big ones are prohibited) versus a purse or fanny pack — you want to dance your ass off. Backpacks offer the most space, security, and mobility of any choice. Sounds minor, but from someone who’s been super annoyed trying to jump around with a crossbody bag on too many times, I’m telling you, the little things matter.
I highly recommend making your backpack a hydration pack. As long as there is water on your back, you have no excuse not to suck down water all night. You will feel so much better if you are hydrated, and it will give you the strength to keep on keeping on all three nights!
Do not let the night fool you, the Vegas desert is HOT. Temperatures may dip into the 80’s if we’re lucky, but will quickly start rising again as the night wears off. I made a special trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond the day we left for EDC last year just to get one of these and I thank God I did. I believe this cooling towel is the only thing that kept me alive. You might not need it during the event, but you will thank your lucky stars for this thing as you make the treck to your car, shuttle, hotel, wherever.
Freedom Rave Wear bandanasand hoods (nudge nudge) also make amazing cooling devices. Dip one of these guys in water, and since they are made of moisture-retaining spandex instead of quick-drying cotton, they will keep your neck and face cool for hours! They'll also keep dust and smoke out of your face so you can protect your precious lungs.
3. Tissues: Two words...porta potty. I don’t care if you are a dude or a chick, being left without any paper products after they’re cleared out within the first three hours on Day One is not chill. Travel packs of tissues weigh next to nothing and will surely come in handy. Just a reminder that according to Insomniac rules, all packs that come through the gates need to be unopened!
4. Hand Sanitizer: See above. Hundreds of thousands of people times however many trillions of germs they're all carrying around leaves EDC a bacteria zoo. Everything you touch, someone has already touched, and you won't believe how sticky everything can get.
Yes, you can get through a festival without these, but why? Put these on and the already incredible amount of cool light up shenanigans all over EDC get an extra layer of rainbow prisms and awesomeness. The fireworks show will never be the same! Just make sure that if you're trying to walk around with these on that you're holding on tightly to someone who is not wearing them.
6. Water bottle: Insomniac understands the important role water plays in raging safely. Because of this, they allow empty water bottles that can be filled at refill stations throughout the venue. Save some cash and the possibility of only being able to purchase a capless water bottle by bringing in your own reusable water bottle or hydration pack. Make sure you make a mental map of where all the water stations are and stop at one after every set to top off.
We’re in for a looong night, and your phone battery may not have as much stamina as you. With many opportunities to take sick pics and videos (and accidentally get separated from your squad), having battery power is crucial. Bring your own power source or fuel up at the charging station in Carnival Square.
Pro-tip: Get burner phones for you and all your friends to use at the festival and leave your smartphones at the hotel. EDC is supposed to be about PLUR, but there are always those few people who get grabby and won't think twice about stealing your phone given the opportunity. Don't give it to them!
8. Chapstick (sealed): Again I say, we are going to the desert. It is hot and dry. Only sealed Chapstick is allowed in, so pick up a fresh 3-pack.
9. Gum (sealed): Gum is the sustenance of raves. Having a dry mouth will give you kitten breath, and having something minty to pop in your mouth will keep you feeling (and smelling) fresh. As with the Chapstick, only sealed packs are allowed. Grab a 3-pack for a few bucks so you have a fresh one every day.
10. Boom Boom Energy (sealed):
You know how refreshing it is when you put a piece of gum in your mouth? Imagine that feeling permeating the entire inside of your face. That's what Boom Boom does. These handy nasal inhalers give you a safe and refreshing burst of energy with a mix of menthol, eucalyptus, and essential oils. They come in five flavors--CinnaMint, Tropical Rush, Berry Breeze, Wintermint, and Melon Drop. Available from Freedom Rave Wear!
If you still need convincing that Boom Boom is the bomb bomb, take it from the Wolf of Wall StreetJordan Belfort!
There you have it — my suggested list of EDC essentials. Am I missing anything? What do you always bring to EDC, and why can’t you rave without it? Let me know in the comments!
Written by Desiree Roughton: writer and rhythm chaser Edited by Brett Lalli 5/14/2018