After the Fest Ends, Get Home Safe
By Liz Acosta
When it comes to concerts and festivals, the key to success is planning ahead. You plan to set that alarm bright and early to catch the presale drop before they sell out. You anticipate your ideal lineup of who you are going to see. You plan out which outfits you are going to wear. You start gathering inspiration for your hair and makeup. You plan where you are going to stay after and who you are going to stay with. What often gets forgotten in all the tantalizing chaos is how you and your friends are going to get from point a to point b to point c.
Before the Show Starts:
- Decide if you are going to assign a designated driver or if you are going to get an Uber, Lyft, or cab back.
- Download any and all rideshare apps. If you are a first time user, they often have some significant savings that will make the ride cheaper.
- Make sure someone saves their phone battery for the end of the show when you're ready to set up your ride.
The show is now over and now you and your crew need to navigate the crazy rideshare lot. Even though you're trying to get out of there ASAP, be sure to remember these tips to be safe.
After the Show Ends:
- Check with your DD if you went that route. We cannot stress this enough, DO NOT DRIVE UNDER THE INFLUENCE. You might be thinking rides are so expensive or that it's only down the road, but it is not worth it. Don't put your life, your friends' lives, and other show goers in danger. It's not cool.
- Go to the designated rideshare lots and taxi pools. Don't wander around back roads, especially if the venue is out there. We don't want you to get in or cause an accident. Follow the people in the vests, pointing you in the right direction. If you are not sure where to go, ask.
- Use only legitimate rides. Don't get into shady cars with drivers promising you a quick way out and a deal to go up the street, no matter how tempting it is. We understand that you most likely won't know your Uber or Lyft driver, but there is at least a digital trail that can be accounted for.
- Follow the buddy system! Do not leave anyone alone or let them ride alone. If you went together, stay together, and leave together.
Once You Secure Your Ride Home:
- Double-check the make, model, and color of the assigned car.
- Read and verify that the license plate matches the one in your trip information.
- Make sure that the Uber/Lyft sticker is displayed in the windows.
- Have the driver address you by the name on the trip to make sure one last time before getting in the car. Ask them their name too.
During your ride, be sure to keep your phone handy. Don't toss it in your bag once you get in. You can follow the trip along the route to make sure you're going the right way at all times. If you are meeting up with some more friends, let them know you are on your way. In whichever app, there is often an estimated time for arrival. If you're feeling a little on edge, take a screenshot of the driver and trip info and send it off to someone.
Did you know that in both the Uber and Lyft apps, you can set up a list of buddies that will automatically get updates of the status of your trip? This feature is super easy to set up, and once it's done, you don't have to do a thing.
These rideshare apps are always improving their safety features. Something relatively new in both apps is the introduction to in-app safety centers. You can tap the 911 assistance button and automatically get connected to the 911 dispatch center. Your ride information and driver information is then sent to the center and can then be used to help. Both apps are focused on improving the background check procedures during the hiring process of drivers to help avoid these type of situations from happening.
Now, we know this is a serious conversation, but it is a necessary one. Planning for your trip safely from an event shouldn't be an afterthought. With these tips, you can be better prepared, be more at ease, and get home safe. Concerts are meant to be a fantastic experience that you can look back on, so let's make sure the party continues when the shows over.
For the latest app safety information be sure to check out the Uber and Lyft sites.